This program is designed to provide employment-ready and comprehensively trained graduates. Successful graduates will achieve certificates of completion for Crisis Intervention Training (CIT), First Aid and CPR, Level C in addition to their diploma. These graduates are fully qualified to work in a hands-on community service capacity in the social service industry. Skill development is delivered in three areas; Computer & Business Office Skills, CSW administrative/clinical and 160 hours work experience.
DURATION: 40 weeks
THE PROGRAM WILL PROVIDE
- Comprehensive community service worker knowledge, including psychology, sociology, family life, mental health, addictions, criminology, at-risk populations, case management, counseling, ethics, business communication, report writing, and government and social services.
- Full range of computer and office skills, including current software applications, keyboarding skills, and personal and professional development.
- On-site work experience through participation in a 160-hour placement at an approved CSW facility.
- Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check.
- 19 years of age or older (varies, depending on province-specific ministry requirements).
- Grade 12 or equivalent, or Mature Student Status with successful completion of admissions testing
- Completion of Wonderlic SLE admission test with minimum score of 18.
- Adequate level of physical health to be able to fulfill job requirements.
- Other tests (e.g., TB Test) or proof of vaccinations (e.g., Hepatitis B) may be required by industry prior to placement.
- Good command of the English language – both written and oral and Completion of standard registration form.
AOLCC has turned the page by applying technology in a whole new style of learning, whereby students have the opportunity to learn and participate in a virtual classroom. Courseware and lessons are delivered utilizing textbooks, software and online digital media in addition to a live lecture every day. With the click of a button, students enter the Virtual Classroom, where their instructor is waiting to deliver a live lesson and answer questions in real time.
- Healthcare and social assistance
- Youth centres
- Youth protection services
- Civic and social services
- Out-patient care centres
- Local community service centres (e.g., CLSC)
- Emergency relief services