With the aging population, the tremendous advancements in technology, and our demand for the best quality of life, the healthcare industry is facing a growing shortage of well-trained personnel. Throughout the North American healthcare industry, there is an acute need to increase the size of the workforce and raise the skill level of that workforce. A well-trained Community Service Worker (CSW) is equipped with a flexible, adaptable career. Social and community service workers administer and implement a variety of social assistance programs and community services. They assist clients to address personal and social problems. They are employed by social service and government agencies, mental health agencies, group homes, shelters, substance abuse centres, school boards, correctional facilities, and other establishments.
This program is designed to provide employment-ready and comprehensively trained graduates. Successful graduates will achieve certificates of completion for Crisis Intervention Training (CIT), First Aid and CPR, Level C in addition to their diploma. These graduates are fully qualified to work in a hands-on community service capacity in the social service industry. Skill development is delivered in three areas; Computer & Business Office Skills, CSW administrative/clinical and 160 hours work experience.
DURATION: 49 weeks
THE PROGRAM WILL PROVIDE
- Comprehensive community service worker knowledge, including psychology, sociology, family life, mental health, addictions, criminology, at-risk populations, case management, counseling, ethics, business communication, report writing, and government and social services.
- Full range of computer and office skills, including current software applications, keyboarding skills, and personal and professional development.
- On-site work experience through participation in a 160-hour placement at an approved CSW facility.
An admissions interview will be administered to determine if the applicant has the required interest, motivation, and entry-level skills to take this program.
Full-time students must attend the required hours per week as per the course schedule and may do so at times convenient to them.
- Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check.
- 19 years of age or older (varies, depending on province-specific ministry requirements).
- Grade 12 or equivalent or Mature Student Status. Courses are open to any applicant who possesses a good command of the English language and can follow instructions. Applicants whose first language is not English must provide proof of English proficiency.
- Completion of Wonderlic SLE admission test with minimum score of 18.
- Adequate level of physical health to be able to fulfill job requirements.
- Other tests (e.g., TB Test) or proof of vaccinations (e.g., Hepatitis B) may be required by industry prior to placement.
- Good command of the English language – both written and oral and Completion of standard registration form.
AOLCC has turned the page by applying technology in a whole new style of learning, whereby students can learn and participate in a virtual classroom. Courseware and lessons are delivered utilizing textbooks, software and online digital media in addition to a live lecture every day. With the click of a button, students enter the Virtual Classroom, where their instructor is waiting to deliver a live lesson and answer questions in real time.
Graduates of this program are qualified to work in a wide variety of CSW settings and occupations. Job titles vary per location, but graduates are an integral part of many settings, including:
- Healthcare and social assistance
- Nursing and residential care facilities
- Youth centres
- Individual and family services
- Youth protection services
- Public administration
- Civic and social organizations
- Social advocacy
- Grant-making organizations
- Provincial government
- Out-patient care centres
- Local community service centres (e.g., CLSC)
- Vocational rehabilitation services
- Educational services
- Community food and housing
Anticipated salary: C$33,570 – C$77,775 (Information from PayScale Canada)
Program Category: Healthcare
Program Syllabus: Click to Download